<< >>
justin = { main feed , music , code , askjf , pubkey };recent comments
search

Recent comments:

Posted by 2022 on Mon 23 May 2022 at 16:20 from 2.25.95.x
makes sense..but who else likes sense these days?? :D
too many cooks spoiled that old broth.
the current system is hijacked by overzealous absolutist,deterministic,reductionistic authoritarians. (?)
they wont have it,if it is not fully controllable. :/

Posted by Brian on Sat 14 May 2022 at 12:54 from 174.61.49.x
Great pick!!
"Till The Next Orb....

Posted by Saurabh Rastogi on Fri 25 Feb 2022 at 15:20 from 188.214.8.x
Beautiful place, and thank you of Winamp.

Best Wishes from London

Posted by Justin on Tue 22 Feb 2022 at 17:26 from 76.126.181.x
in one sitting? one pineapple, probably, but that would be too much

Posted by hey on Mon 21 Feb 2022 at 02:44 from 184.100.18.x
JUSTIN

Posted by hey on Mon 21 Feb 2022 at 02:43 from 184.100.18.x
hopw many pinesapples could you eat if someone cut th cut off the skins for you and made cubes

Posted by asafonov on Tue 08 Feb 2022 at 23:14 from 94.241.47.x
that’s a great talk. thank for sharing, i really enjoyed it

Posted by Tale on Tue 28 Dec 2021 at 03:03 from 77.170.68.x
Thanks for sharing, this will certainly come in useful one at some point. BTW, Apple's (lack of) documentation if also one of my biggest frustrations.

Posted by schmoe on Mon 25 Oct 2021 at 20:28 from 108.180.138.x
Can see sort of a sideways angry face in the clouds too. Doesn't like being shushed!

Posted by ufo spotter on Sun 24 Oct 2021 at 10:16 from 95.149.70.x
looks like fun! but hmmm. is this not very revealing? the statue is saying what? shhh,be quiet? dont tell anyone?.. and am pretty sure saturn or jupiter would be beyond any low level clouds?.. heheheh.. great capture. good memories indeed.thanks4sharing this angle.

Posted by Tao Stein on Thu 14 Oct 2021 at 23:20 from 1.36.185.x
Thanks for all your hard work on Reaper. Great system !

Posted by ufo spotter on Tue 21 Sep 2021 at 12:19 from 95.149.70.x
lol yep- they ALWAYS fly around in them spheres of light.
No visible means of propulsion.. no wings,no tail,no rotars..standard aircraft stuff.
Look again.Listen to your hearts answer?
The phenomenon is quite real.It is a global thing. :D

Posted by Justin on Mon 20 Sep 2021 at 18:49 from 71.167.52.x
definitely a UFO! probably commercial air traffic but definitely unidentified ;)

Posted by ufo spotter on Sun 19 Sep 2021 at 19:04 from 95.149.70.x
oooo- looks like you caught a ufo there!? (far right 500% zoom!)

Posted by suoipoc on Sat 15 May 2021 at 06:41 from 73.239.127.x
I was just reminiscing about the good old win amp days as I see Spotify implementing some graphical frills that reminded me of some of the win amp interface. Anyway, I went down a win amp rabbit hole and started reading about your projects and your life. You truly were ahead of your time.. Thank you for all you have done for the digital community, music has always been an important part of my life, and you shaped my love of it on the computer.
-s

Posted by Justin on Tue 04 May 2021 at 17:50 from 71.167.52.x
I haven't tested Waves on the M1, but x86_64 plug-ins that use SSE rather than x87 all seem to be quite fast. And I think all sane plug-ins should use SSE on x86_64.

Posted by maralatho on Mon 03 May 2021 at 16:52 from 98.185.249.x
Wondering if your use of intel VSTs includes any Waves v12 VST3s, which is what I mostly use. I'm using a 2012 Intel Mini, and have been considering upgrading to an M1 Mini, but my concern has been that since Reaper and my plugins will be emulated for a while, performance might tank. It's actually quite good now on this old hardware, even though I'm using a 4k display and am running Catalina.

Posted by hukl on Wed 28 Apr 2021 at 14:15 from 91.64.45.x
I recently acquired a MacMini M1, which blows me away on so many levels but of course I was worried that my elaborate, reaper centric workflow might not work for a few months but quite the contrary - everything, including intel vsts runs silky smooth so far. Huge thank you for being on top of this!

Posted by Emanuele on Sun 28 Mar 2021 at 15:00 from 84.52.237.x
Hi Justin, take care and it'll get better!

Posted by Justin on Sat 27 Mar 2021 at 09:41 from 71.167.52.x
hah! still using gnu libc etc, but iirc busybox and replaced /bin/init with a shell script :)

Posted by Zoom on Sat 27 Mar 2021 at 05:49 from 88.201.132.x
>Jesusonic/linux

Reads like you have a complete Linux userspace written in JS to replace GNU. That would be hilarious, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted by Justin on Tue 02 Feb 2021 at 12:18 from 71.167.52.x
Thanks Martin, that's pretty consistent with my understanding (and what my Chiropractor has said)... the Orthopedist seemed less interested in that, though.

Posted by Martin on Mon 01 Feb 2021 at 06:52 from 91.50.109.x
There is a youtube channel about stretching excercises to combat pains caused by monotone movements or postures. Their theory is that fascia tissue foreshortens from excercise and that leads to excessive pressure on the joints, which causes the pain. So where you talk about strengthening certain muscles, they'd recommend stretching the opposing muscles instead. Search on youtube for "Liebscher & Bracht – The Pain Specialists" to find their channel. The TL;DR version is: stretch the muscles you use most during running every day, and hold each stretch for at least 90 seconds, then ease out of it very slowly. It's supposed to hurt a little bit, but not so much that you couldn't smile anymore while doing it. I've had great results from this with fixing tendonitis in my arm and reducing some thumb joint pain. Maybe it can help you too? If it works, it should feel better fairly quickly, but of course your mileage may vary. And especially since you have prior injuries, maybe check in with your orthopedist first.
Good luck and get well soon!

Posted by Gio on Fri 15 Jan 2021 at 16:00 from 94.70.31.x
Sorry to hear about that, I wish you well. What I learned from my own experience is that a middle aged man should probably exercise in moderation or to put it otherwise in accordance to his own strength probably never in excess. As the ancient Greek saying goes ``Pan metron ariston'' (Everything in moderation).

Posted by Justin on Sun 03 Jan 2021 at 17:19 from 71.167.52.x
heh thanks... I think it'll all be OK, just the challenges of aging...

Posted by Tale on Sun 03 Jan 2021 at 06:10 from 77.170.68.x
Ah don't read, right... Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your knee, and I hope it will get better in time. And else I guess you can always reconsider surgery sometime in the future.

Posted by toqer on Thu 31 Dec 2020 at 17:50 from 152.131.10.x
Just be careful db.. I started running like a madman in 2013 or so, was able to do 4 miles a day, now I have no cartilage in the right knee. Take it easy, space out a day between runs to let your body recharge.

Posted by 2020 on Sun 18 Oct 2020 at 20:17 from 109.181.167.x
and so- the edges meet the middle! your next test is to do it blindfolded!!
(i really like the mountains part...but meh the rest tbh!! when people have the ability of photo realism this particular style falters in comparison imo) although it is still rather attractive in some ways.
the forgotten arts..the lost arts..the divine artist. ;)
Puzzles are interesting..they engage the senses in a rather poetic way..because when the puzzle is completed,the arranger must seek a new piece to "finish"..onward and upwards,dear justin.
Be well.

Posted by A person from New Zealand on Mon 12 Oct 2020 at 04:16 from 222.153.61.x
Nice.

Posted by berrypicker on Mon 21 Sep 2020 at 02:01 from 69.172.165.x
EASY! Just a Jigsaw Falling Into Place, no?

Posted by jakob on Thu 30 Jul 2020 at 07:48 from 87.141.33.x
Hah, I did something similar just a few days ago, and got myself an X61 (I had the X60 too back in the days, but the X61 has guaranteed 64bit CPU, so no hassle on ebay).

I also have a minimal Linux and REAPER on it, and use it for JSFX as a live vocals effects kit. So far it's great. I would have loooved to use the ncurses-based JSFX standalone, just for the visual aestethics onscreen. But alright, I'll take all the features of REAPER in exchange for not being able to show of my inner Hackerman. ;)

Posted by Albi on Tue 02 Jun 2020 at 08:01 from 217.138.216.x
Haha, poor me trying to think of a chapter in the book 1984 where they mention a bird: "Maybe when the couple were going out for the first time in the woods?"
Now it turns out, the title refers to the year of the painting...

Posted by Justin on Sat 30 May 2020 at 12:37 from 71.167.52.x
I don't remember how long I spent on this one, it was when I was 5 or 6 haha. I think the most I've spent on a painting recently is an hour or two.

Posted by Gio on Fri 29 May 2020 at 09:51 from 94.70.5.x
I have also noticed that oil paintings with time (10+ yrs) looks much better and pleasing, or it's just me liking old things...

Posted by Gio on Fri 29 May 2020 at 09:33 from 94.70.5.x
How much time (on average) do you devote for each painting and how you come up with a topic, is there a process or just random things? My sister used to do water painting but never learned anything from her, these days we have a few ``masterpieces'' hanging around as a reminder of that great period. Funny thing is when I read your code I perceive it as something abstract and artistic rather than something structured and in order which probably justifies your tendencies, although I might be wrong...

Posted by Justin on Fri 08 May 2020 at 18:21 from 71.167.52.x
The looper is super8 JSFX (included with REAPER), the drum machine is RS5k with the big mono samples

Posted by Justin on Sat 18 Apr 2020 at 00:07 from 71.167.52.x
I have a short attention span for most things :)

Posted by sousastep on Fri 17 Apr 2020 at 02:07 from 68.194.88.x
I'd like to hear the music people are making on computers with more than 64 cores!

Posted by bee on Thu 16 Apr 2020 at 18:23 from 95.151.177.x
Sketchy! - hey,what plug in are you triggering here? care to share?

Posted by bee on Thu 16 Apr 2020 at 18:21 from 95.151.177.x
hmmm -is it the carrots birthday,or yours? :)
Seems you care very little for greater detailing with some creations..why so?
Am sensing you have more a gift,which is hiding somewhere!?
Let it shine brightly!! (our family moto= I shine not burn:: luceo non uro)

Posted by bee on Tue 14 Apr 2020 at 19:53 from 95.151.177.x
People are either service to self,or service to others.
No amount of money will ever change that imo- especially once we hit the final graveyard or urn.
Being *greedy* and power hungry,is what leaves others in need.
The worlds highest earners could be capped at sensible limits,imo,to leave some fruits for others,and put back into health and infrastructure systems.

Tea bags are more useful than shitbags.lmao.
Hope your enjoying the fruits of the pedal boards labourers.
+Enjoy the fruits of nature,care for them,and they will care for you. ;)
Bless the human hands.

Posted by schmoe on Sun 12 Apr 2020 at 12:08 from 172.218.181.x
I'm in Canada, but I was watching the "bag of shit" in a press conference the other day and to me he looks lost, like he's just saying things with no attempt to look like he believes any of it. I hope you and your family (and your city) come out the other side of this stronger.

Posted by Justin on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 23:01 from 71.167.52.x
The cotton mask has paper filters in between (there's a shell and a liner).

Posted by bee on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 20:34 from 95.148.58.x
heh- wowzers- try a painters or gas mask > either will fully protect you from most anything! the shabby felt/material ones are next to useless (imo)
i used to run on the spot at high speed..decent workout and no need to mingle in the jungle ;) although getting 'fresh' air obviously has the advantages over indoor activities in some respects..
be well,stay safer- do not feed the fear factor +shine your inner light outwards!
bless.

Posted by Justin on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 15:18 from 71.167.52.x
(also, still running in public when the (bad) weather permits)

Posted by Justin on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 15:17 from 71.167.52.x
schmoe -- the mask works OK, not great for running or biking though, too much movement and it's too heavy for that I think?

bee -- it's not penny pinching, it's wanting to not take a mask from someone who needs it more urgently than I do.

Posted by bee on Sun 29 Mar 2020 at 09:33 from 95.148.58.x
lol-- the 'make your own mask' thing is seriously penny pinching (for a multi_millionaire!)
+the video reminds me of a rat stuck in the maze-while the scientists watch on :P

Posted by schmoe on Sat 28 Mar 2020 at 18:44 from 172.218.181.x
How's that mask working out? Are you running in public again or is that not allowed amymore anyway?

Posted by bee on Fri 27 Mar 2020 at 17:00 from 2.26.240.x
btw- when adding a comment here now..the font size is incredibly tiny until posted+viewed (jfyi)

Posted by bee on Fri 27 Mar 2020 at 16:58 from 2.26.240.x
try running backwards..or sideways ;) = whole different experience!
search : Copyright © 2022 Justin Frankel